Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Pre-K lessons on seeds and plants

During my pre-interning I have been teaching a pre-k class. For spring one of my lessons I chose was to teach them about seeds and plants. The basics of how a seed becomes a plant, the basic needs of plants, etc. The kids loved the centers I chose.

Seed Exploring: Students use a magnifying glass to look at seeds up close and draw what they see on their paper. They really loved feeling like little scientists with the magnifying glass.


Seed Sorting: Students got to use child sized tweezers to manipulate the seeds and sort them in the proper cup of the egg carton. This is great for fine motor skills.


Garden Center (dramatic play): This was a favorite of the kiddos. They loved digging in the dirt and planting the real seeds, using the gardening tools, and feeling like a real gardener.


Modeling Center: Students were able to sculpt their own plants using play doh and mini terracotta pots.They really loved playing with the homemade play-doh I made.


Some of my favorite books I read and included in the reading center were: The Tiny Seed by Eric Carle, Tops and Bottoms by Janet Stevens, the Carrot Seed by Ruth Krauss, and Growing Vegetable Soup by Lois Ehlert.









Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment