Monday, January 6, 2014

Currently reading...

I am head of the Accelerated Reading Program for 3rd, 6th, and 7th graders at my school. Everyday that I have them they have to read to self for a full 30 minutes. The rest of the time we do activities or I read to them. I love reading chapter books to the upper grades because they really get into it. I am currently reading The Watsons Go To Birmingham--1963 by Christopher Paul Curtis, to my 6th and 7th graders. It's a Newbery Honor book. Since MLK day is near I wanted to choose a book to read that dealt with the Civil Rights movement. I love this book, I had to read it in my Children's Lit class in college. From Amazon.."A wonderful middle-grade novel narrated by Kenny, 9, about his middle-class black family, the Weird Watsons of Flint, Michigan. When Kenny's 13-year-old brother, Byron, gets to be too much trouble, they head South to Birmingham to visit Grandma, the one person who can shape him up. And they happen to be in Birmingham when Grandma's church is blown up". It's a great read! Just thought I'd share! P.S. It's a AR test book and there's a movie, which I like to use as a treat after a chapter book.

s-THE-WATSONS-GO-TO-BIRMINGHAM-large.jpg (260×190)

Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment