Thursday, September 5, 2013

All About Apples

I recently did an apple themed unit. I of course included the classic tale of Johnny Appleseed. Since language arts and math are the only common core subjects for Kindergarten, I focused on those subjects primarily. We read Johnny Appleseed and did a character web as a class. The students also made their own Johnny Appleseed hats. For science we learned the parts of an apple and the students labeled their own apple. For math we used apples to learn about measurement and data. Here are some pictures of the highlights of the unit.

I brought the apples to school in this old apple basket. I thought it was so cute!


This is the craft we made for the parts of an apple lesson.


The Children used linking cubes to measure their apples, which is part of the Common Core Curriculum.


We had a cute paper to document our investigation. You can find here


We also learned about graphs and data, which also aligns with the CCC.




This was one of my favorite lessons. I thought it was great to do the graph as a whole and let them graph and measure their own apples. They really enjoyed it. We will use the apples to make applesauce. :)

Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment